Jimmy and Joe sit down to discuss Redeemer Fellowship's Leadership Lab and our top ten "preaching don'ts." What is Leadership Lab, and how do we run it? And what are out top ten "don'ts" for preachers and teachers, and what can we do to fight against them? We've listed them below for people who like lists. Plus, Jimmy's hand gestures, Joe's brow wiping, and "mom's spaghetti."
1. Don't tell long stories.
2. Don't delay getting to the point.
3. Don't go down rabbit trails.
4. Don't neglect your tone.
5. Don't make yourself the hero.
6. Don't make yourself the fool.
7. Don't repeat yourself in content or mannerisms.
8. Don't comment on your mistakes.
9. Don't make excuses
10. Don't take too long in your introduction.
Help to Overcome These Don'ts
1. Have a critic and a coach.
2. Review your sermons.
3. Practice your sermon.
4. Keep learning.
Here are three of our go-to preaching resources covering different aspects of preaching.
Folly, Grace, and Power: The Mysterious Act of Preaching by John Koessler
The Art of Prophesying by William Perkins
Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell